Queensland Koala Crusaders Inc is an incorporated association dedicated to improving koala conservation outcomes. Its mission is to be “a voice for the koala”.
The group’s formation followed the Sunshine Coast Koala Summit held in August 2012. Foundation members were drawn from existing groups already operating in South East Queensland: Koala Action Pine Rivers http://koalaactioninc.org, Moreton Bay Koala Rescue http://moretonbaykoalarescue.org and Koala Diaries. We also work co-operatively with other like-minded conservation organisations, including the Bob Irwin Wildlife & Conservation Foundation, and Queensland experts recognised internationally for their work with koalas.
The Queensland Koala Crusaders Inc committee believes very much in the value of a grass-roots approach to koala conservation – those who are closest to the problems are also arguably closest to the solutions. The committee’s combined experience in koala conservation – including rescue, rehabilitation and advocacy - spans more than three quarters of a century.
- Work with interested individuals and corporations to create koala safe havens and corridors through a mix of land use designations and acquisitions.
- Lobby for changes to the laws relating to translocation and mandatory euthanasia for non-releasable koalas
- Encourge and support the establishment of long term habitat for currently non-releasable koalas
- Facilitate collaborative relationships with like-minded conservation organisations.
- To inform and educate the community about the perils facing koalas and provide details about what can be done to reduce the negative impacts of development.